- Sear the pork hocks in the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan set over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer, then add the stock, vegetables and bay leaves. Fit the lid, reduce the heat to low, then cook gently for 3 hours, until the hocks are tender. If using a slow-cooker, transfer to cooking insert and cook gently for 6-8 hours.
- Strain the sauce, mix with the flour, then boil to reduce to a gravy consistency.
Slow cooked pork ham hock in white wine
3 hrs 30 mins
- 2 pork hocks (rear hocks are preferable)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 750ml white wine
- 1L chicken stock
- 2 cups sautéed vegetables (onion, fennel, celery, garlic)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon plain flour