- Place pork onto a board. Using a sharp knife, score the pork rind at 1cm intervals. Turn pork over and using a small knife, prick 20 small holes into the meat (this helps infuse the flavours).
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add fennel seeds and roast until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or food processor. Add garlic, salt, herbs, chilli flakes, lemon rind and ¼ cup oil. Pound or pulse until it forms a rough paste.
- Evenly rub herb paste over the meat-side of the pork. Tightly roll the pork from the longest side and tie at 2cm intervals to form a roll.
- Rub pork rind with oil then liberally rub with sea salt. Place pork on a rack in a large roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes or until skin is golden and crackled. Reduce heat to 160°C and roast for 1 hour 30 minutes or until pork is just cooked through. Remove and rest for 10 minutes. Remove string. Serve pork with roasted apples and potatoes.
Pork Belly Porchetta
- 2 kg piece pork belly
- 1 ½ tablespoons fennel seeds
- 6 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 10 large fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra 2 teaspoons for rubbing pork rind
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes, for rubbing into pork
- Roasted apples and potatoes, to serve