Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 75 minutes
Ingredients - serves 4
- 1½ kg easy carve leg of lamb
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs rosemary
This no fuss lamb roast with tomatoes and fresh asparagus is practically foolproof. Cooked together in the same roasting dish the lamb is tender and the flavour of the vegetables is intensified.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place lamb in a roasting dish, brush lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables with the oil and rosemary sprigs and set aside.
- Place lamb in oven. Roast for 1 hour for rare, 1 hour 15 minutes for medium, or 1 hour 30 minutes for well done. After the first 40 minutes of cooking time, add the vegetables around the lamb in the roasting dish and continue to cook.
- Remove lamb, cover loosely and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve lamb with roasted vegetables.
You can judge the degree of your roast’s doneness using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature for: Rare – 55-60ºC, Medium rare – 60-65ºC, Medium – 65-70ºC, Medium well – 70-75ºC, Well done – 75ºC.
Resting a roast for about 10 to 20 minutes before carving gives the juices in the meat a chance to redistribute, giving a moister and tender result.