Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients - serves 4
- 600 g lean beef mince
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 4 buns
- Mix the beef, miso paste and spring onions together and form into 4 patties.
- Mix the wasabi paste and mayonnaise together and set aside.
- Peel the cucumber into thin ribbons, discarding the watery centre. Toss with the sesame seeds, vinegar and sesame oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a ridged chargrill or barbeque to moderately high. Lightly brush the patties with vegetable oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the cut side of the buns on the grill to warm through and lightly colour them. Spread the mayonnaise onto the base of the buns. Top with a patty and the drained cucumber salad and serve.
- White miso paste is a Japanese fermented soya bean paste, available from Asian grocery stores and supermarkets.
- For a healthier version, try it without the bun and/or mayonnaise.
- To up your vegetable intake, try adding other salad ingredients such as sliced tomato, shredded lettuce and grated carrot or beetroot.
- Add a little more wasabi to the mayonnaise if you prefer a spicier kick.