Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Ingredients - serves 4
- 1 kg piece corned silverside (corned beef)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, finely chopped
- 100 g kale or spinach leaves, trimmed, shredded
- 1 small red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Grilled tortillas, to serve
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Natural yoghurt and sliced red chilli, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C or 140°C fan forced. Rinse the corned silverside in cold water to remove any surface brine. Place the corned silverside in a large heavy based pot, large enough for the meat to be completely submersed in water. Cover the silverside with cold water.
- Place over a low heat and bring to just a simmer. Drain well. Transfer beef to a wire rack sitting over a large roasting dish, face silverside fat side up. Pour 3 cups (750ml) water in base of the dish.
- Combine the honey, paprika, cumin and chipotle. Brush half the glaze over the silverside. Cover entire dish with a layer of foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 ½- 2 hours, or until tender, a fork should easily penetrate the centre of the meat.
- Preheat grill on high. Remove foil and brush remaining glaze over silverside. Grill for 3 minutes or until glaze is caramelised. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, combine the kale, capsicum and onion. Add the lime juice and olive oil, gently toss to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Thinly slice silverside. Serve in the grilled tortillas with the avocado, kale salad and a dollop of yoghurt and fresh chilli to taste.
- Tortillas can be either char grilled, or heated in a hot dry pan until warmed through and slightly crisp.
- Placing water in the bottom of the tray prevents the glaze from burning, and helps keep the meat moist.
- If unable to find chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, you can substitute with 1-2 teaspoons chipotle or hot chilli sauce.