- Untie the pork leg, then season generously with salt, pepper and half the oil. Brown in a large saucepan over a high heat on all sides, then set aside.
- Add the onions and remaining oil to the pan and brown lightly.
- Add the sauerkraut, potatoes, stock and mustard, then mix well. Fit the lid and cook gently on low heat for 2½ hours, until the pork is tender. If using a slow cooker, transfer to a cooker insert and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Shred pork with forks, then mix in the chives and serve.
Bavarian style slow cooked pork leg
- 800g boneless pork leg, rolled
- sea salt flakes and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 brown onions, finely sliced
- 2 cup sauerkraut
- 8 chat potatoes, halved
- 1 litre chicken stock
- ¼ cup mild mustard
- 2 bunches chives, finely sliced